Question

Tiredness and lack of energy
I am an 18 year old students and for the last two years, I have had spells during which I experience a lack of energy. Some times they last for a day or two other times longer. The longest spell I have had so far has lasted two weeks. The degree of the spells vary from a slight lack of energy to more extreme times when I find it hard to even perform simple tasks such as brushing my hair or cleaning my teeth, because it simply takes too much energy to lift my arm.

Usually during these spells I experience an elevated resting heart rate, and climbling for instance four stairs manages to raise my heart rate by 30-40 bpm. I also feel extremely hot and tend to perspire much more, although my body temperature remains normal . Occasionally during this time I will also experience spells of dizziness.

During my worst spell thus far I consulted my doctor and had extensive blood tests done, but he was unable to pinpoint my the source of my problem. I have tried drinking energy tonic such as Vita-Thion, and been taking vitamin B tablets for this, but they don't seem to help.

Other than this I am a very heathly individual, who has a regular sleep pattern, a healthy meal plan and exercises regularly.

I was hoping that maybe you had some suggestions.

Jules, it’s difficult to say what the problem is as I don’t know which blood tests were done. When examining someone with fatigue, it is recommended that a whole battery of blood tests be done in conjunction with a good clinical examination. These tests include a full blood count, Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate, ALT, total protein, albumin, alkaline phosphatase, calcium, phosphate, glucose, blood urea nitrogen, electrolytes, thyroid stimulating hormone and a urinalysis.
If all these tests came up negative the best would be to see a specialist physician to take it further. Good luck.