Question

Tiredness, feeling tardy, no energy
A underactive thyroid was identified a couple of years ago and is controlled by Eltroxin. I had blood tests earlier this year which indicated that all is well except for a low testosterone count. According to the doctor it cannot be treated, because I am a woman. I do get about 6 hours sleep a night. Some days I feel as though all my energy is slowly disappearing out of my system. Because of that I want to eat in order to compensate for the lack of energy. Sometimes It feels like the tiredness is too much for me to cope with. I wonder if the tiredness is due to the low testosterone count.

Dear Mary-Ann,
Low testosterone usually causes more of a low sexdrive than extreme tiredness. It sounds to me as if you don't sleep well and that could cause depression which could present just with a very tired feeling. Ask your doctor to prescribe something to help you sleep for a week or two, start exercising - although you feel tired, it will actually give you more energy ( walking 30 min a day will be ok). Try and eat healthy and drink 8 glasses of water per day. Cut out caffeine. If you feel depressed ask your GP to prescribe something to help - it is sometimes due to an abnormal serotonin level in the brain.