Question

To skinny
Dear Doc

I am 29 yrs old. Had 2 babies and weigh 64kg, 1.8m tall
I am envied by plenty because I am still the same weight as at 18 yrs of age. But to me I am too skinny. I have a very healthy appetite, I love fruit, veg and chicken or fish.

I was wondering if there could not be something wrong with me. I am constantly tired, have no energy to do anything, and my moods are terrible. I am erritated and angry all the time - this is not who I am.

What could this be?
Sugar, Cholesterol (too low), hormones?
I have my period every 21 days as well.

Do you suggest I go to my GP or rather my Gynea.

Dear LRM
It is possible that you either have a thyroid or female hormone imbalance. Hyperthyroidism, when the thyroid produces too much thyroid hormone would make you lose weight, hamper weight gain and make you feel irritable and exhausted. In view of your high menstrual turnover, I would start off by seeing your gynae. Your BMI = 19,8 which is rather low and it would be good if you could gain about 6 kg. So see the gynae, who will have your thyroid and female hormone levels tested. I have written some articles on the subject of 'Gaining weight'. For basic information click on 'Diet' at the top of this page and then on 'Diet Basics' and 'Weight gaining'.