Question

Toddler - listless
My daughter is 18 months old and had a bad case of gastro. She hasn't had a loose stool nor vomitted since last night.

She is warm and just wants to lie down. I have been giving her Hydrol to drink and no diary products. Her appetide isn't as good as it usually is but she is eating.

Her body feels slightly warm.

Should I take her to the Doctor, or just keep her indoors?

Please advise
momentum expert

Dear Adele
Check her hydration - ask her to stick out her tongue - this should be wet and glistening. Take the skin on her tummy and pull it upwards softly - it should go back to normal (flat) immediately - if she is dehydrated her mouth and lips will be dry, she will not pass urine and the skin will not be as flexible.
Continue with Hydrol, add Inteflora or other probiotic to her drinks 3 times a day.
If she is feverish or dehydrated or disorientated she must see a doctor.

Signs that a child is seriously ill:
Rapid breathing, flaring of nostrils, breathing noises ( grunting or wheezing), inter-rib spaces pulls in with breathing
Cold pale skin, very fast heartbeat - 150 beats per minute ( up to 12 years a heart beat up to 120 per minute can still be normal)
abnormal agitation or drowsiness
fever higher than 38 degrees
Neckstiffness
Rash that looks like spots of bleeding under the skin