Question

Toddler now eating fantastically, but doesn't take enough fluids after ditching her bottle
I've written before about my toddler's eating problems:
My 3yr old toddler used to drink a lot of milk in her bottle. So much that she actually didn't eat very well. On Sunday my sister's baby chew a hole in her bottles' teat and she refused to drink from it. I decided to use this to take her from the bottle. During the night she cried for her tietie, and we were too sorry for her so I got a new teat for the bottle. The thing is, she also didn't want the new one - it felt different to her old one. I then knew that was it - tietie is now something of the past!
She coped very well and realised that tietie was gone and by the second night didn't even wake for it.
The problem is now that she doesn't take enough fluids. She doesn't like juices and would only drink water - but only little bits at a time. She also doesn't want to drink milk anymore - it is as if she doesn't like it in something else than her bottle!
She gets constipated very easily and already didn't make a poo yesterday. She now eats fantastically - I cannot believe the change. I used to battle to get her to eat, but now she feeds herself because she is actually hungry and not full from milk.
What can I do to get her to drink other kinds of fluids and more of it than a few sips of water?

Dear Mommy
Well I am glad to hear that your lassie has stopped being a difficult eater. A child of 3 years would require about 60 ml of liquid per kg of body weight per day. So if she weighs 13 kg (the average weight for 3-year-olds) then this would amount to 60 x 13 = 780 or 800 ml a day of liquid. You can check how much water she is drinking and try encouraging her to drink more water if she is not getting 800 ml a day (about 4 x 200 ml cups a day). Other alternatives are rooibos tea which some children love or diluted fruit juices (dilute 50% with water, which she may prefer to full-strength fruit juices). If she has stopped drinking milk then you need to ensure that she is eating yoghurt and cheese to provide her with the calcium she needs to grow healthy bones and teeth. You can also consider giving her a calcium supplement like Caltrate every second day or ask the chemist for a calcium powder that you can sprinkle on her food. Constipation can be treated by giving her boiled dried fruit such as prunes or apricots with her porridge in the morning.