Question

Toning + fitness in middle age
Hi I am 54 (woman). I go to gym now and then but not enough to make visable difference. I am now really getting down about the middle age flab. I am 6' 5". Weigh 63 kgs so not overweight really but my inner thighs and under arms are particulary flabby and I have cellulite on my thighs. I follow a fairly healthy diet and really just not disciplined when it comes to going to gym regularly. I have an enlarged heart and my doc says heart rate not to go over 120 and also not to lift weight. Can you give some advice as I really want to stay looking as if I am taking care of my body and of course to be healthy.

Hi there

I think that you hit the nail on the head when you said that you don't go to gym often enough. I think that what you need to do is just keep going, but you must find the discipline to do it regularly. There is no short cut and there is no magic session that will work, if you don't do it regularly. The important practical thing is that you are tall and only weigh 63kg, and so you are not overweight at all. Therefore, to aim for weight loss is going to be difficult for you. Your goals are to tone, to lose some fat in those specific areas and to get fitter and healthier.

Now, with your enlarged heart, I understand the restraints, but i don't think that you should do away with the training altogether. I think that you can very safely do weight training, PROVIDED the weight is light and you are not overdoing it. remember, that the problem here is that your blood pressure goes up and this places strain on the heart, and you can avoid this simply by doing light weights and avoiding having to strain.

I think that the bottom line is that you just have to strive to exercise more regularly and then the results will come.