Question

Tony Ferguson Program
Hi Doc Ingrid

What is your opinion about the Tony Ferguson Diet?

is this a healthy program to follow - will you recommend it to hard working mothers that dont have the time to join a gym, work a 8-5pm job and still studies?

I have no time to exercise / or join the gym because of my family responsibilities and studies

Will dearly appreciate your advise

Dear P
I have seen ads on TV for the Tony Ferguson Weightloss Programme and must point out that the idea of using a low-fat, low-glycaemic index (GI) diet has been used successfully in SA for many years. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. You can contact The Glycemic Index Foundation of SA at: www.gifoundation.com to obtain more information, including books that explain the principles of the diet. If you combine this type of low-fat, low-GI diet with daily aerobic exercise then you should lose weight. It is not necessary to buy the jellies and other products that are on sale at pharmacies as part of the Tony Ferguson diet. I hear what you say about mega-busy moms who can't go to a gym. What you can do is to buy and inexpensive skipping rope and skip every day. Start gradually for about 10 min and as you get fitter and lose weight you can increase how long and fast you skip until you are doing 30 min a day. The beauty of such an exercise regimen is that you can do it at any time and you can split the 30 min up into 3 x 10 min a day whenever you get a chance. Give it a try.