Question

total deprivation very difficult
Dear Dietdoc,
I've been following the diet plan on the internet, and started a walking exercise programme, and although I've lost 2 kg in two weeks, I feel terribly deprived. I found it very difficult to cut out all the undesirable stuff immediately, and although I've forced myself to, I really would like to know that I can have a small portion of slap chips or crisps or cake or pizza every now and then like over weekends. I don't expect people to understand how I feel, but I cannot imagine not having these things for the rest of my life, which means I'm scared that I won't be able to stick to the slimming diet plan for long. I do like healthy food a lot, and never eat cake or sweets during the week, and try very hard to stick to your balanced diet, but I would so much like to be able to join my family and friends for some fun food at least once a week over weekends. I understand that I must give up these things, but to cut them out completely is very difficult for me. I wish there was a diet that just slowly decreases the intake of "forbidden" foods, so that one can go through a slower withdrawal process, but all the diets just abruptly stop the intake of any of these nice things, which makes me just obsess about them.

Dear Marian
You can of course make the occasional exception and have a slice of pizza or a piece of cake or whatever food you are missing most. However, the reason why most slimming diets prohibit these tempting, high-energy foods from the word go, is that they can so easily make you slide back into your old habits. It could be a case of 'I'll just have one slice of pizza, hmm this tastes so good, let's have another one and another, etc' and before you know it, you have dropped your diet. Generally speaking it is best to avoid foods that can make you sabotage your diet.
Hang in there you are already making progress and keep up the good work iwth the exercise programme.