Question

Toy Pom skin problem
I''ve got a Toy Pom, female 4 years and six months old pure bred wolfsable colour. Her hair came off and her back is almost bare, with black spots and itching skin.

The vet gave Curatex for her skin and a mixture, mirrorcoat for over her food.

She gets her Bob Martins every day. Sometimes she is coughing. She eats well, every morning and evening and weighs 4kg. Every 2 months I put frontline plus, 7ml on her neck.

Do you know what the cause of the hair loss can be?

Thank you very much.

Mrs. M. Julyan

Hi Marenda

I suspect that your Toy Pom may have a reaction to fleas. This is a difficult and expensive condition to treat. I would treat the problem as follows:

* Treat the environmental flea stages by getting the environment fumigated.

* Use topical dog flea treatments more frequently.

* Visit your local veterinary surgeon to get advise and treatment for the itchy skin (antihistamines; cortisone and/or antibiotics for 2nd bacterial infections)