Question

Trainers
I have been going to gym 5 times a week for nearly 7 years after not excercising at all for most of my adult life. I have now found that not doing cardio and weight training on the same day seem to really work for me and although I dont jog anymore,just walk I definitively look better. Something I find strange though is that the people who make use of fitness trainers for years on end still have exactly the same look they started with and some even look worse and doesnt seem to improve at all but still uses the trainer 5 times a week! Do you think it is what they eatt or do after gym or maybe one cannot really change ones bodyshape no matter what!

Hi Pixie

It's a combination of many factors, because achieving weight loss happens when a number of different factors come together. You can tell this because gaining weight happens so easily. In otherwords, it takes just one minor change to either diet or lifestyle and body weight starts to change. If you chat to anyone who has ever been very active at school, and then stopped sports in their early working years, they will tell you that what they see is a gradual 'slide' in body shape, and they begin to gain weight very gradually and consistently. Next thing they know, it's one year later and they've gained 6 or 7 kg. So the same logic tells us that when we are trying to lose weight, we have to make small changes and then allow long periods to see results. When you then look at people who are in the gym and not succeeding, the reason is either diet, or a lack of consistency in the exercise. What you have done is allowed 7 years of change to happen, and from what I can gather, it's taken you almost this long to figure out exactly what works for. And that's what it takes, and so to the other person who posted a reply to this question, the answer is that it takes lots of time,and often very small thing make a difference over time. The problem is that they often don't work in the first few months, and so people give up and make change again. Generally, when you change your lifestyle, exercise or diet, it will work provided it's given long enough. If not, then making one change after another actually just undoes what is done before, so I have to encourage you to resist the urge to change continuously. If you have a plan that you believe is sound and will work, then stick with it.