Question

Training and increased appetite
I'm 36 , with a BMI of 22 and have started running 5 months ago. I've been fairly inactive & a bit overweight before then. In the beginning I didn't experience much of a change in appetite, and lost a few kilo's without really dieting. Most of the time I opt for healthy food choices, but in the past month my appetite is out of control! I have gradually increased my distance and am currently training for Oceans Half, doing about 60km's per week at an average pace of 6.5min/km. Are there any specific food types I could include or increase in my diet to help control my appetite? I already eat a significant amount of carbohydrates.

Hi Lucy

Why do you want to control your appetite? I would not try to reduce my food intake, because what your body is telling you is that you need more energy! So if you assume that an appetite is your body's way of communicating to you that it is running low on certain foods or vitamins or nutrients, then the best thing is to give it what it is asking for! Obviously, you can't go overboard and just eat and eat and eat, you have to be sensible about it too, but I strongly suspect that your carbohydrate intake (and hence your energy intake) are too low, given your current exercise routine. Also, it may help you to try to identify when you are particularly hungry - is it in the late afternoon, because that could be a common sign that perhaps between breakfast/mid-morning and the afternoon, you are not eating consistenly enough, which can cause tiredness and huge appetite later on. The best thing to do is to make sure that you are eating consistently during the day, small meals. But you should have a look at the carbohydrate intake - the recommended amount is about 6 to 8 g/kg of body weight. So if you weigh 60 kg, then that's 640 g of carbohydrates a day, and that is often difficult to get in. So I would look at that first and foremost.