Question

Training plan
Hi doc
At the moment I go to the gym about 3 times a week. I have no training plan and basically just run on the treadmill for 20 min and ride the bike for about 15min.
I know this is not enough to actually loose weight and I definitely want to loose weight.
I follow a very healty diet but I loose 1 kilo and then pick it up again...can't seem to loose more than that and can't seem to keep it off so my wieght is stable at the moment.
Can you plz help me with a "training plan" or just let me know how i should be working out to actually loose the weight? I prefer running on the treadmill to any other machine in the gym.
I'm 21, female and weigh about 70, my bmi is 25

Thanks for your help :)

Hi Nellie

It's certainly not a case that you're not doing enough to lose weight - what you're doing now could ause weight loss, it's a matter of looking at diet as well.

Then in terms of training, you need to look perhaps at the intensity and the volume of training in order to help push passed that barrier you have found so far.

In terms of intensity, you might need to increase what you are doing right now - it's possible that your training is too 'easy'. I'm not advocating going out there and punishing yourself, but it does help to raise the intensity. Now, this is something I can't judge of your own training, but it often helps to lift the intensity.

In terms of training volume, I think that a 4th day a week will make a difference - it shifts your training to rest ratio, because at the moment, you're NOT training MORE than you are. If you add a 4th day, that shifts around, and I think you'll benefit as a result.

Then finally, i think that a structured programme will help, if for no other reason than the structure and routine it gives. So check out the "Fitness" page of the site, click on "Programmes" and take a pick of those programmes - either running or cycling based.