Question

treatment for adults diagnosed with autism?
I would like to know, as a matter of interest, whether there is anything that can be done for people who are diagnosed with the more higher functioning types of Autism when they are already middle-aged (and where they were misdiagnosed as having an anxiety disorder and/or a social disorder in their twenties and thirties). Is there any treatment for them that is likely to make a significant difference, when started at such a late stage in the day?

The fiels is highly complex, with experts delineating and defining a wider range of related cunditions under that broad umbrella diagnosis Autism. And all varieties can be helped, the more so as they become better understood. Some people with high-functioning vaieties of autism have led highly successful and contented lives, and I'd guess some of the greats of human history might today have received this diagnosis.
If one is diagnosed late, it probably suggests that you are high-functioning and have on your own found ways of adapting to the problems that arose, so treatment might have even better opportunities to he helpful.
The difficulty might be in finding shrinks with interest in and experience of, these conditions, able to be optimally helpful. But it's well worth trying