Ask an expert

26 Jul 2011

What would make a 25 year old tell untrue stories about his father to other family members? This is my grandson that has caused trouble in the family by going to uncles and grandparents and telling stories that his father is an alcoholic, that he snorts cocaine, that he hits the mother. I have spoken to him about it and he says that he can see it because he himself is on drugs and so when he sees signs in his father then he knows he is taking drugs. Of course there could be an element of truth in some of his stories because I think his father does drink too much but much of what the youngster tells seems to be highly exaggerated and why should be going telling family about it?. I also tackled him about the fact that he says he is taking drugs and he says " only weed which is nothing" . He says some years ago he did try cocaine but then stopped when he was having palpitations. It''s hard to know what to believe.
Answer 358 views

01 Jan 0001

There are of course many possible reasons for such behaviour. For an admitted drug user to defame someone else based on "signs" he thinks he has noticed is obviously unfair. And parents who drink too much ( excusing their own use of their drug of choice ) can hardly expect their children not to indulge in the different drugs THEY may choose. What does his mother think ? Does she indicate that any of his complaints about his father could be true ?
Its hard to believe that anyone finds the kid believable, as his own drug use invalidates his claim to be believable. And of course Weed is never "nothing". In people who are susceptable ( and you rarely know so until you are a heavy user ) it may precipitate psychotic illness, and it is simply not good for your brain. And as it is even dirtier chemically than tobacco, its even more damaging to your lungs as cigarettes.
Maybe he needs to remember the old folk saying in most cultures, and notable in the Bible, about attending tou your own problems before interfering in someone elses.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.