Question

31 May 2011

Troubled student
Good day doc

I train young girls in computer skills and met with the parents of one of the students today.

They indicated that she is a huge problem at home, she sleeps out and fights all the time with family members. I find it a bit hard to believe as she is fine in class, however it is a bit troubling to me. the fact that she has stuck with my class for many months amazes them and I would like to create an intervention where I can maybe try and get through to her

What exercises could i do with the class for her to open up to us? Please let me know as i dont wanna scare her

tha nks

Maybe this isn't the answer you're looking for, but I don't think that "staging an intervention" is what a good teacher should be doing. And trying to do so in an uncontrollable setting like in front of the class, could have disasterous results. Especially with a troubled teen, it needs expert skills in assessment and diagnosis, and then in pychotherapy, to have much chance of success.
A ood teacher is very valuable in recognizing a troubled child and referring them to a suitable expert. Encourage the parents to take the child to see a child psychologist or child psychiatrist, for a proper assessment and expert advice.
If you try to become involved in a therapeutic way, you are not only likely to fail at that, but could spoil what sounds like a very helpful educational role that may be especially important in this child's situation.