Ask an expert

12 Aug 2010

troubled teenager
Hi there

I am concerned about my niece''''s behaviour.She deos not attend school and she is into boys and we also suspect that she is doing drugs.she is 16 and we want to help her before things get out of hand.We cant take her to a therapist as she runs away every timne we suggest that,now we have ran out of things to do to help her.Is there may be a boarding school she can go to in CPT or nearby just to get her back on track.She failed Grade 9 and it doesn''''t look like she will write exams end of this year.

Please help!
Answer 282 views
Teen expert
Teen expert

01 Jan 0001

Hi there,

with the type of problems you describe a school will not work if she has a drug addiction, as this would have to be treated first.

If someone refuses drug rehabilitation a court order can be sought that directs them to treatment without their consent if it is felt to be dangerous to their health to not intervene. You would need to consult a Clinical Social Worker who specialises in this field.

I would suggest you contact the Cape Town Drug Counselling Centre on 021 447 8026 for referral advice.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9270 votes
66% - 17927 votes