Ask an expert

18 Aug 2007

For all my adult life I have suffered with terrible headaches. Being a sinusitis sufferer, I always assumed that when I woke up with one of "those" headaches, it was because of my sinuses. A couple of weeks ago a friend gave me a pillow called the "Aeropedic pillow" because he found it uncomfortable. I started using it straight away, and 2 weeks later I have realised that not once have I woken up with a headache! My problem has obviously been because of my neck, and this pillow has really helped. Anyone suffering from th same thing, please try this... it realy works.
Answer 884 views
Headache expert
headache expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear cj,

Great news that the pillow had such a beneficial effect – they certainly do help some people, but unfortunately not everyone has the same result.

Although the sinuses can play a part in the headache process, it is not nearly as common as people think. Research from headache clinics throughout the world shows that “sinus headache” is the most common misdiagnosis. Just because the pain is in the area of the sinuses, or because the patient has a post-nasal drip or blocked nose when the headache strikes, doesn’t mean that the sinuses are responsible. In fact what often happens is that when the underlying cause of the headache is treated, the sinus problems often clear up.

I would be most interested to hear if your sinus problem has improved as well.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.