Question

Trying to get my old self back
Im 16 and ive recently quit cigarettes and cannabis ive been clean for 63 days. Before I started I was a promising rugby player, I had a passion for it and I was very good at it I was also very fit but some time ago I put all that on the shelf and really messed. For over a year I smoked and took drugs cannabis, cocaine and a few others its hard to explain it all but i suppose thats the effect its had on me. 63 days ago I decided to get my life back on track and without hestitation quit it all, the fags the weed everything. Im trying to get fit again and ive rejoined my old gym and im really focusing on my rugby again only it doesnt happen for me like it used to ive lost a lot of co ordination not to mention fitness and im not really playing like i used to i need some advice and its not just with sport and fitness its with pretty much every area of my life, im trying to get back to how things were before and i thought it would be easier than this and done by now only its not and im not sure it ever will be, is there anything i can do everyones advice will be greatly appreciated
Teen expert
teen expert

Hi Warren,

first of all well done for making a life changing and possibly life saving decision. Quitting substances is not easy and what you have achieved so far is great.

With regards to your physical fitness you need to remember that you have been damaging your body with the substances you have been using and it is going to take time to regain your fitness, But because you are young it is possible for you to achieve this if you stick with it.

Its when people stop using that they realise how much the drugs had got into so many aspects of their lives and as a result staying stopped can feel very hard at times.

I would recommend you do get support as this is not an easy thing to do alone and having someone to talk to and encourage you will be very helpful. I suggest you contact Cape Town Drug Counselling Centre who may be able to offer you support or tell you where your nearest service is to where you live. You can contact them at www.drugcentre.org.za they provide individual and group counselling. Seeing a psychologist would also help you deal with the emotional issues attached to your using as if these remain unresolved it can make you vulnerable to relapse. Just ensure you see a psychologist who deals with substance abuse issues.

Dont give up now - you are doing really well

best wishes