Question

Tummy tuck
I have been trying for a while to get rid of the tummy and nothing seem to help. Any advice? Iam diabetic and whenever I loose weight I loose every where else except the tummy. I am even thing of going for a tummy tuck. I weght 80 and is 1.74m tall. What is the ideal weigh and do you have any suggestion to try for loosing around the waist?

Dear Grey
Your present BMI = 26,4 which is a bit higher than the upper level of normal. Your ideal weight would be 67 kg to achieve a BMI of 22. It may thus help to go on a low-fat, low-GI diet (if you are not already on such a diet for your diabetes?). Losing weight all round will also help to reduce the tummy. Ask your dietitian to assist you with a diabetic slimming diet and if you have as yet not consulted a dietitian visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. All diabetic patients should be monitored by a dietitian. There are exercises that target the tummy area - ask Fitness Doc on this Website for a set of home exercises like situps that strengthen the tummy muscles. Let's first see what overall weight loss and tummy exercises can do to remedy the situation before you have a major operation like a tummy tuck. Operations should not be undertaken lightly if you have diabetes as you may suffer complications.