Question

Two Oceans stap
Ek gaan ook die two oceans stap en dankie vir die goeie raad, my gemiddelde spoed is 7.9-8 min/km - dus u stel voor dat ek dit ook moet verbeter deur vir die volgende 3 weke met spoed te begin? Moet ek dan vir 10km probeer om 7.3 min/km te stap of korter distansies? My probleem is dat ek nooit vinnig kan wegtrek en stap nie want ek kry pyn in my shins en is eers na 3-4km reg om vinnig te kan stap, daarna laat waai ek!

Hi there

If you walked the entire race at 8min/km, then you would finish in just under 3 hours, which is fine. So if you are confident that you can walk this speed for this length, then there is no problem at all! I think that the previous person may have been a little slower and so for them, it was important to walk a little bit faster and that required some speed work. The reality is that with 2 weeks or so to go, you are not really going to make massive improvements in speed. So in stead of trying to make changes to the training, if you are worried about finishing the race on April 7 within the 3 hours, my advice is actually that you mix walking and running. And you don't need to run a long way - if you ran 2 minutes, walked 8 minutes, then if you walk at your normal speed, you will be able to finish the race in about 2h40, compared to 2h50 if you just walked. And you only need to run 2 minutes at a time. So my advice is to start off planning to walk, but if you start to see that you might be struggling to finish in time, just start running for a few minutes every once in a while,and I'm sure that you will get there in time.

But in the long term, if you can start doing some more speed walking, then it will definitely help you!