Question

Two-year old do not want to stay alone at playgroup
I am the mother of a two-year (and 5 months) old girl who refuses to stay on her own at her playgroup. Her father has been taking her, first on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings, to the playgroup which is about 16 little ones running wild with two persons looking after them. In the beginning she was fine, but after a couple of days, she refused to stay there on her own. The groupleader wanted to start with a program and suggested that our daughter comes on Tuesday and Thursday mornings when it was suppose to be the little ones that needed more attention. It turned out that it is almost exactly the same group as on Mondays, etc. My husband has been sitting there with her for about six times now, but she still refuses to stay there alone. When I asked her the one day why she don't want to stay there she said she don't like it when the other children cry. She started talking at a very young age, is potty-trained (she stayed with granny until now) and loves playing (and performing, singing) with other children as long as we are around. Do you think there are too many children for the supervision or can it be that the problem lies with the emotional development of my child? I am helpless, because of the location of my work I cannot take her to the group and my husband cannot stay there for much longer because of his work. And she has not adjusted by now, do you think she ever will? And it probably is no good to take her to another group? Thank you

Dear fm,
I wish ther3e was an easy reply to this sort of problem. While she is talking, it's not always easy to find out exactly what's troubling her, and why she is suddenly being manipulative and showing Separation Anxiety which was not a problem before now. Seeing a CHild Psychologist or Child psychiatrist might help with an assessment, as they have skills at eliciting such issues. Maybe something else has happened a the group, which has upset her ; maybe the other chldren, or the people running the group, don't behave in the same way after your husband leaves ? If they are doing something which does upset her, a different group might work. How would she respond to the idea of a different group ?