Question

Ulcerative Colitis
I was diagnosed with UC some 10 years ago and am on medication (Salazopyrin-EN). All information I have followed up on UC indicates that one of the main symptoms is diarrhoea. I have the exact opposite in that I suffer mainly from constipation and need to take laxatives at times....Is this normal or common.

I also suffer from a skin rash on my stomach and armpits. This has only occurred recently and I assumed it is due a resistance to the medication and have reduced same in an effort to overcome this. Is this common and what is the cause or cure.

Thank you

GG, diarrhoea is a fairly common symptom of UC, but not having diarrhoea doesn’t exclude the diagnosis. If you’re interested, you can have a look at a support group’s web site that I’m involved with for some background info. It’s called the Crohn’s and Colitis Support Group (CCSG) and the address is http://www.ccsg.org.za.
The rash might be due to a superficial fungus infection due to the Salazopyrin you’re taking. The best would be to ask your pharmacist for an anti-fungal cream like Lamisil® or Normospor® and see if it doesn’t want to go away. If it doesn’t go away, the best would be to see your GP. Good luck.