Ask an expert

04 Dec 2005

Uncomfortable feeling / cramp / spasm after orgasm - male
Dear Doc

I am a 30 year old male and on occasion after orgasm experience an uncomfortable sensation / cramping / spasm feeling. It usually happens if I have sex while needing to urinate (i.e. I should have gone to the toilet before but did not). After orgasm it feels like I need to urinate, after going to the toilet it feels like all / some of the muscles used to orgasm and control urine flow go into a very intense cramp / spasm resulting in an uncomfortable feeling which lasts about half an hour, unless I am up and about (active) in which case it passes in a shorter time.

It has been happening on and off since I was 18 and occurs one or twice a month

Any Idea of cause and suggestions for cure (other than go to toilet before)? Is this common?
Answer 1,622 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Bob,
You could have a prostrate problem. The prostrate is a gland sitting around your urethra or urine tube and it provides the lubrication when having intercourse. Some guys get a low grade infection or inflammation in the gland that can be treated with antibiotics. Please let your GP have a look ( I know it is embarrassing...) or let him/her refer you to an urologist to check. While there ask them to check your bladder for infection too.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9269 votes
66% - 17873 votes