Question

UNDERACTIVE THYROID - LOOSING WEIGHT
Well i have the above disease and have put on 15kg since being diagnosed with it 3 years ago - I am planning to do something about my weight but is the following exercise going to help me loose weight. I have started eating 6 small meals a day , substituting 2 of those meals with a protein shake and i go to gym 6x a week - 1 day 20min running - next day 1hour of running and circuit, is the exercise and diet sufficient enough for me to get rid of excess weight knowing that i have a thyroid problem i am on 1.5mg of Eltroxin

Dear Ice
You need to discuss this weight gain with your doctor because you may have to adjust your Eltroxin dosage. To lose weight you need to reduce your energy intake by cutting down on fat and increasing the amount of dietary fibre you eat. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of a low-fat, high-fibre diet - compare this diet with what you are intending to eat and make the necessary adjustments. I am not particularly in favour of substituting protein shakes for meals because they may encourage you to overeat at other meals and they get boring quite fast. If you combine the low-fat, high-fibre diet with the exercise you mention, then you will lose weight, but just ask the dr about your medication.
Best of luck