Question

23 Apr 2006

undissolved clots
a friend has clots in his head that they have not been able to dissolve. What are the dangers and can you survive with clots in your head? I have been told that this is fatal and probably within a couple of years. Can you give me any information?
HeartDoc

Dear Concerned,

Much will depend on exactly where in the head these clots a located, the cause of clots, and whether or not more clots are being formed.

In some areas inside or outside the brain, the presence of a clot may cause very little problem. In other, more sensitive areas, however, even a small clot can have a massive impact. If the clots were due to a bleed inside the head, then he cannot be given “clotbusting” medication, as this could trigger a massive further bleed.

Unfortunately there is too little information to give you an accurate explanation. I suggest that you find out from him or his doctors exactly what the diagnosis is. If you can let me have that information, and a brief summary of how the problem arose and how he has now, I shall try to give you a clearer answer.

HeartDoc