Question

Unemployed with MS
Hi there,

Was diagnosed with MS in 2000. My problem at this point is that as of Jan 2004 I lost my employment and to date have not been able to secure any work. I believe that MS can cause depression! My question is this: How does one who is unemployed receive physcological help? Being 40 years old with MS and no employment has been a terrible strain on my mental health!

Hi Craig,
You raise such an extremely important point ! Any chronic and/or disabling illness can increase one's risk of Depression, and MS surely qualifies. Counselling and support could help a good deal. DO check out what Disability Grants might be available to you, and possibly even some grants towards retraining or other assistance towards finding further work. In SA we're far from being as well provided for as in the USA or UK, but make full use of whatever we have.
Checking my notes on possible resources in SA, I find the following, which may still be functional --- let us know if any are any use to you.
There's a Gauteng-based MS Support Group listed here, 011-483-2380, and 011-673-9643 ; inland@jhb.lia.net via an Elanour Greef in Melville ( and she might know if there are similar groups anywhere else in SA ).
I see another MS Support Group at 031-469-1734, via a Mr Farnby in Yellowwood Park, johnoreen@worldonline.co.za. One at Tygerberg Hospital, 021-930-4570, with Treska Botha who was the contact person. These conacts ma be out of date, but at least they're a starting point.
And, as sds valuably points out, make sure whether there is a possible continuing payment from your company pension scheme.
CAGirl, nice to hear from CA !