Question

Unfairly treated at work
I cannot afford to seek a lawyer but I feel I am being treated unfairly at work as my bosses treat people differently. I''ve had a lot of health issues the last 6-8 months and I missed a fair amount of work, I''ve caught up quite well (my colleague who has been here is MAJOR behind in her work but nothing gets said - she plays spider solitaire a lot) I feel that I am being treated differently. Also the boss''s son can come and go when he wants but if we leave 15 minutes early then there are raised eyebrows. I am the ONLY one who works in short time - if I am an hour or two late I work it in. I work through 80% of my lunchbreak virtually everyday. The receptionist leaves at 15h45 to miss traffic and my other colleague leaves the same time even though she lives 5 minutes away. The boss''s son sometimes leaves at 14h30.
Granted I have had a lot of short time due to illness (coming to work late because I was nauseous and vommitting in the morning), car hassles, maid arriving late every week... so I do understand having to work in the time - but why is nobody else held to this?
The one department is treated differently from the other - the receptionist (she has been with the company forever) has a company petrol card so she doesnt pay anything for fuel - she sits on the phone every day for at least a cumulative hour on personal calls. She has 1 week leave more than us.

My other colleague was on leave for 4 weeks when we closed and then an additional 2 weeks (granted she does not usually take leave during the year and I always take a week for our timeshare) but apparently she was within her leave allotment. How long can leave be carried over?

In some ways, bosses SHOULD treat people differently, as we are, as people, different in significant ways. But sadly, some people get treated unfairly BETTER than they deserve, and better than other workers do. Especially when they're related to the top guys.
OK, you've had a number of problems and hassles in your private life, but I suppose a company might not see why they should suffer from this and your consequent lateness.
There are routine ways to deal with apparent unfairness at work. There should be an HR person to try to sort out grievances, and their are mediation processes, etc. ( where I'm no expert ) worth following. And I gather there are set procedures they'd need to follow if they wanted to fire you, including specific written warnings, and attempts to find solutions