Question

28 Oct 2009

Unsure if this is even a gynae question
I am 45 years old and I am on Depo Provera so I haven' t had a period for a couple of years. Occasionally, I get the most awful ' period'  pains in my lower abdomen starting on the right side of my abdomen and moving over to the left side. It feels exactly like a period pain and I used to really suffer with this at high school - even sometimes fainting in class! Now it feels that as soon as my bladder or bowel starts to ' fill up' , the pain starts. It is so bad that I break out in a sweat and feel nauseous and I sit on the toilet to try and empty my bladder and bowel so that the pain will go away. I get very hot and I sweat which then turns cold and I start to shiver. The episode lasts about ten or fifteen minutes and then I' m fine again (just very tired) until more food arrives in the bowel and then it starts all over again. Previously this only happened once in a day about every six months or so but recently it happened over a period of a week perhaps three or four times a day. Do I see a gynae or another type of doctor? If another type of doctor, which type should I go and see? Any advice would be most welcome.

This sounds like a bowel ra6ther than a gynae problem. See your GP and he/she will refer you to the right person.