Question

02 Apr 2007

UPDATE : BYPASS OPERATION - WEEK 11
Hi Doc,

Just to let you know that I have lost a total of 19kg! Can't believe it. I feel well and other than the piles, really can't be better. No pins and needles, hardly any bloating and I have started eating some of the foods that I had to cut out. Cabbage not going down too well and I can't eat beetroot (my favorite) any more.
The doctor told me this could happen, but it is a small price to pay to get one's health back. Eggs, also not a great idea.

Doc I drink about 5 liters of water a day. 3 liter at work, 1 at night before bed and another liter during the night. Sometimes a bit more and I will have 2 liter before bed.

My hubby feels that it is too much and says that it contributes to my frequent running to the loo. Do you think I should cut down on the water. The problem is I am always thirsty. I am really hooked on water, but also drink coke, fruit juice and coffee.

I know I can't drink a lot of juice (doc said that it could lead to kidney stones), but I have to drink something for the thirst. During the night I wake up (to go to the loo) and usually drink about 1 liter of water during the night.

Any advice on this?

Have a wonderful week.
*Hugs*

Dear Savannah
Lots of hugs for you too for losing those 19 kg - you are a bright, shining ***star***. I do think that you are drinking rather a lot of water - 5 litres is too much - I agree with hubby - and what I am afraid of is that this will once again cause an electrolyte imbalance. If you drink so much water then you will urinate more and every time you urinate you lose sodium, potassium magnesium and even calcium, which as you last experienced led to all those unpleasant symptoms with the electrolyte imbalance. Try and gradually reduce your water intake to about 3 litres per day. It may help to take small sips rather than to down a whole glass in one go, until you are used to the lower water intake. I don't want you to get the shakes and numbness again.
Keep up the good work
Lots of hugs