Question

Upset stomach when running
I have been running 50 - 75 km per week since mid January, combined with some weight training and spinning. I have recently been struggling with an upset stomach which seems to be running related. It usually only happens on my harder, longer runs of around 15km's and is short lived; an hour after the run and the next day I am fine. I have not changed anything in my diet, and was hoping for some insite as to what could be causing this. It would be my worst nightmare if this happed to me during a race!!

Thanks in advance,
Russell.

Hi Russel

This is in fact a very common problem in runners (runners' trots) and is caused by the up and downward movement of the colon, which actually stimulates the body to want to get rid of colonic contents. Furthermore, during running, the contents of thew gastro-intestinal tract tend to move faster through the system, sometimes without adequate water absorption from the contents, resulting in diarrhoea. I think your best bet is to try to find out what upsets your stomach eg some people have a problem with dairy products giving them diarrhoea during fast running. The day before a hard run, steer clear of dairy products and high fibre foods and try to to eat large portions, but rather regular, small meals. Because these foods are very important in your diet, please don't cut them out - only on days before a hard race.

This should help.