Ask an expert

02 Jul 2010

Hi Doc

My Nephew is 19 years old and a Heroin addict private rehab is not an option as they cant afford that any help or contact details for State Rehab?

Im just scared to put him in a state facility after that documentary we saw on Carte Blanche?
Answer 327 views

01 Jan 0001

There are indeed some incompetent and bad state facilties - and some private facilities that aren't much better. But there are also some good facilities. You don't mention where you are, and most important of all, you don't mention what your nephew's attitude is towards getting treated and off the heroin.
If he isn't genuinely and sincerely willing, nothing mych will help. If he IS keen to stop, then diferent facilties may help. If he gets into trouble with the law, the court may send him to a state facility which may be good or bad - maybe call the local probation service for advice on what's available, and also check with SANCA
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.