Question

URINE FREQUENCY
CD

As I have mentioned previously, I go every month for my routine blood/urine tests because of my one kidney and just to make sure there are no problems developing and I also have my bp checked then. I went on 01/07 (with no symptoms, take note). I phoned my GP on the Mon pm for results. He mentioned there were cells showing up in my urine results (he only looks for cells for positive infection results, i.e. if there are other issues but no cells he doesnt consider it necessarily an infection problem, hence the need for catheter tests!) but he wasn't sure if this was in fact an infection problem. Straight away I mentioned I had been going to the loo all morning. "Oh" he said "then its probably the start of your infection, you need to go onto antibiotic treatment". Sure enough final results did in fact show up an infection. Up until then I have never taken any notice of going to the loo often as a symptom on its own, i.e. if I had it with, say, nausea and/or pain, then yes I might consider it. Now my gp says I have to consider it as a problem as well, even if its on its own. My question is what do I need to consider going often enough to consider it a problem and phoning him? In my opinion I feel going every hour or more or more than 4 times during the am, i.e. more than 4 times between say 8 and 2 is enough to consider it becoming a possible problem. Am I right? or does it need to be more than that to be a possible problem. I started what I think might be a new problem this am. I handed in a urine test yest instead of this Sat (when I an going for my blood test) because I have my period this week! Its only due to start from tonight. I have been to the loo:
7:20, 9:15, 10:25 and now 11:30. today and I have not been drinking excess amounts of liquid. Do I need to phone my gp. I wasnt going to phone for results - was just going to find out them when I go Sat. He would contact me if there were any problems but should I be phoning him yet? Sorry for long story!

Thanks for the help.

Dear Anxious
Ask your pharmacist if you could buy a bottle of urine dipstix from them and ask them to show you how to check for infection (+leucocytes, + nitrites, + blood) - it is much easier than trying to use symptoms only.
Usually an urine infection makes you feel as if your bladder is bursting and then you only have 3 drops coming out and it may be painful at the end!