Question

Use of tomato sauce on food - healthy?
Dear Doc

My husband is using tomato sauce (All Gold) on almost all his food. A big bottle last up to about five days. I am concerned about his health. To me it just does not look healthy as his food is swimming in the sauce. He argues that tomato juice is good and healthy and that it is especially healthy for men, as it helps to prevent prostate cancer.

I do not want to nag him to change a habit he has since childhood, but I am concerned about his health. Please help. I need to know if I must be concerned about this habit.

With thanks
Tomato

Dear Reader
Any food eaten in excess is not a good idea, but your husband is quite correct that tomatoes are our best source of lycopene, which is a bioflavonoid that protects against various cancers, including prostate cancer. Ironically concentrated tomato products like the sauce and tinned tomato puree, are not only richer in lycopene, but the processing makes the lycopene more biologically available! Thus you need not be concerned about his habit, esp as he uses one of the brands that does not contain any preservatives.