Question

Usual protocal when making an appointment with a shrink
I posted here a couple of days ago when my boyfriend and I got into a nasty fight and he hit me. He said he wanted to see someone about all his issues. Anyway, I got 3 or 4 numbers from the yellow pages and gave them a call.

The first concersation went like this:

I asked if I had reached Dr so and so, yes...whats the purpose of the call was, I told her I was looking for a psychologist (helloooo), she said, yes... I just said - never mind

The next guy outright told me he wouldn't be able to help, because I couldn't tell him what was wrong with my bf in detail.

And so on and on. I didn't manage to book one appointment. YThey all wanted me to tell them what was wrong with him, isn't that supposed to be their job??? Arrrg. Really frustrated.

I have never been to a psychologist before, what should I say in order for them to grace me with an hour appointment for my bf?

I think you may be misunderstanding. They obviously don't expect you to do their job, and tell them the diagnosis. But because we shrinks all vary, necessarily, in the sorts of problems we deal with best or are most interested in, and because we also like to kep a healthy mix of different kinds of problems among our patients, rather than only one type ; they'd like to know what SORT of problem this is --- does he have a problem with a bad temper ? Is he Depressed? Is he hearing voices ? Is he alcoholic ? That's reasonable.
If you look at posters on this forum, I get a remarkable number of people asking me about vaginal problems, ingrown toenails, or sports injuries --- no shrink would want you to turn up with the sort of problem they can[t deal with, wasting their time and yours.