Question

UTI - continual
Hi Doc I have a UTI every 2 -3 months and then also often have a burning sensation. I drink citro soda but have also had antibiotics a few times this year. My Doc sent a urine sample to the lab and the bacteria was klebsiella not e coli which he told me is common. I have read up on this now and have found that klebsiella can not easily be treated with antibiotics - is this correct and is this the reason for repeat infections. I also read it is a "hospital related" bug with regards to a catheter which I had 6 years ago when I had a Caesar. Please give me more info and tell me what to do - I am at my wits end. Even when I dont have a serious infection I still have nagging symptoms which come and go. I changed doctors recently and the new Dr told me this is not uncommon and some women have a UTI once a month. I am more concerned about the klebsiella than anything else. Thanks

Mandy, the best would be to take the antibiotics for at least ten days and to then have urine sent away to prove that the infection cleared up. If it didn’t or if it returns the bet would be to see an urologist. Good luck.