Ask an expert

09 Feb 2003

varicose veins
I am 23 years old and although my job involves alot of standing on my feet, I can't find a treatment. I have varicose veins around the back of my knees and the top of my thigh. They are still spider veins, but by the tme I am 30 I will look like a grand pree. I have been to a doctor sho just advised me to wear surgicals stockings and gave me a recomendation for laser treatment. It does not run in my family. Lateley though I have had unexplained bruises appering on muy legs to as if it is bad circulatuion, but how can this be since I attend taibo classes twice a week and cardiovascular training at a gym? The bruises are quite large, sometimes as big as a fist. When i think about it I can remeber bumping myself, but it wasn't painful and should not leave such bad bruising. I am only 6 kg overweight so I don't think thats it either. this really is ugly. Should I have bp tests or sugar tests or anything like that. Maybe i need a blood thinning product like aspirin or something.??? I have even changed my contraceptive pill to a lower dosage, but it seems to have gotten worse. Pleas help??????
Answer 288 views

01 Jan 0001

Lucy, the best would probably be to see a surgeon and to have him d a thorough examination of the veins in your legs. If he says everything’s OK, you have nothing to worry about. Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9270 votes
66% - 17922 votes