Question

vegetarian diet
Dear Doc my husband was told to lose weight. We are now on a vegetarian diet for 40 days, eating nothing from an animal. But we eat alot of nuts, olive oil, lentils, advokado, bread, potatos etc.. Can one still lose weight although we eat very well and we are never hungry? (We are havind alot of plant fats, in other words is that OK? After 40 days we will go back to animal products but as little as possible.

Dear Marianna
I am not sure why you have switched to a strict vegetarian diet. Is this to reduce blood fat levels? If so then you should achieve this objective by avoiding all animal foods. However, if you ingest more energy than you expend, I don't think you will lose any weight! Try not to overdo the oils and plant fats, as they contain 37 kJ/g - concentrate on the fruits, vegetables and other high-fibre plant foods that are low in energy and high in fibre and protective nutrients. Consider taking a calcium supplement and/or a vitamin and mineral supplement to provide you with iron and B12 during these 40 days.