Ask an expert

01 Jul 2010

Goeie dag

Ek wil graag weet wat is die verskil tussen ''n sielkundige and ''n sigiater, en wanneer gaan ''n mens na wie toe? Kan u ook asseblief my help deur ''n paar mense voor te stel in die Boksburg area, ek is nie te bekend met dokters in die area nie

Baie dankie
Answer 871 views

01 Jan 0001

OK, I can't recommend any specific shrinks, because nobody in the country can keep track of who they are, where they are, how they practice and whether they're good enough to recommend. Your GP should be able to recommend someone good and near you.
The difference is this - a psychiartrist / psigiater is a fully trained medical doctor who then specializes in diagnosing and treating psych problems. A Psychologist /sielkundige is not medically trained and can't prescribe drugs, but has specialized directly in psych problems, and treats them by psychotherapy, talking therapy.
Depending on your problem, the more it may involve physical / medical aspects or need drug treatment, the more you'd think of a psychiatrist, the more it is problems in living, in relatonships and so on, the more you'd think of a psychologist - though they may also use methods like CBT ( Cognitive-behaviour Therapy ) which are very efective in treating depression and anxiety, too.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
33% - 9323 votes
67% - 18742 votes