Question

vertigo
Please help. Last March I suddenly had dizzy spells combined with nausea and a headache (I am a migraine sufferer and also have hypertension when I'm pregnant) ; when I get these spells, I literally have to grab onto something to prevent me from falling! it's like the room is spinning and I have to close my eyes so tightly! I get them at any time i.e. when I get up in the morning, or at night while I'm watching t.v and even whilst driving. When I went to see my doc, he only gave me iron pills, and some pills for the nausea. But after taking it routinely for one month, I went back to him as it did not help. Lucky for me I got a spell while he was busy examining me, so he could see what I was talking about. He then referred me to a neurologist who performed a whole battery of tests incl. MRI scan,( which I am still paying for), but according to her, everything was OK. She then referred me to a ent specialist, who said I had a viral infection in my ear (why did my family doc not detect that as he checked my ears) Since then I've had the spells time and again, and all I can do is bear it, drink something for the nausea and headaches. I must also add that I am constantly tired, and even if I get 8 hours of sleep, I still feel the need to sleep. I spend my week ends sleeping.

JZ, vertigo is a sensation of motion when there is no motion or an exaggerated sense of motion in response to a given bodily movement. Thus, vertigo is not just “spinning” but may present as a sense of tumbling, of falling backward or forward, or of the ground rolling. Any disease that can affect the vestibular apparatus (inner ear) can cause vertigo.
The following are some of the most common causes of vertigo.
Length of vertigo episode = seconds
*Hearing affected => Perilymphatic fistula
*Hearing not affected => Positional vertigo, vertebrobasilar insufficiency, cervical vertigo
Length of vertigo episode = hours
*Hearing affected =>Ménière’s syndrome, syphilis
*Hearing not affected => Vestibular migraine
Length of vertigo episode = days
*Hearing affected =>Labyrinthitis, injury of the labyrinth
*Hearing not affected => Vestibular neuronitis
Length of vertigo episode = months
*Hearing affected =>Acoustic neuroma, drugs
*Hearing not affected => Multiple sclerosis, cerebral degeneration
Referring you to an ENT specialist and a neurologist was the right thing to do and I’m not sure why they couldn’t make a definite diagnosis. Did anyone mention Ménière’s syndrome? Maybe the best would be to get a second opinion from different specialists. Good luck.
PS If you have more questions, please post them as a new question or I won’t get them.