Question

VERY SLOW MATABOLISM...CANT LOSE WEIGHT...WHY?
HI THERE.

I AM 20 YEARS OLD AND I SUFFER BADLY WITH CONSTIPATION, THE ONLY TIMES I ACTUALY RELEIVE MYSELF IS WITH HELP FROM A LAXATIVE...I EAT MAINLY FIBRE INRICHED FOODS, AND DONT EAT TOO MUCH AT ALL.
I HAVE BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH SPASTIC COLON.
MY QUESTION IS WHAT CAN I EAT TO LOOSEN MY BOWEL MOVEMENTS AND LOSE A COUPLE OF KILO`S.

Dear Chucky
You may have to add additional dietary fibre to your diet in the form of wheat bran which you can buy at health shops. Start very gradually to increase the amount of this fibre you sprinkle over your breakfast cereal, i.e. 1/2 a teaspoon for about 3 days, then 1 teaspoon for 3 days, etc until you ingest 2 tablespoons a day. If taking bran should cause any discomfort at any time, reduce your intake to a level that does not cause problems. Eating additional bran and drinking 4 glasses of water a day to help the bran swell up so as to stimulate peristalsis should do the trick. You don't mention the type of laxative you use - please don't use harsh laxatives as they destroy the normal peristalsis. Try Fybogel instead which is a bulking agent and can be obtained from the chemist. Eating a high-fibre diet should also make you lose some weight as fibre 'dilutes' the energy content of the diet. Exercise will also help for the constipation and promote weight loss, so get active.