Ask an expert

22 Aug 2007

very unfit!
Hello, I need urgent help please. I am 24 years old and am about 10-15kg's overweight. Will I lose weight if I eat normal meals with my parents but just cut down on the portions? Also, I need to start exercising but every time I start, I get very nauseous and out of breath! I do about 2-3 mins on a stepper and then I'm exhausted and I can only do about 5-10 situps before I feel like passing out. I used to be able to do 45mins of tae-bo with no difficulty but my fitness levels have obviously decreased dramatically. What low-impact exercise should I start off with? I cannot walk for exercise as I have no one to join me and I do not want to gym alone. In other words, I need to do something at home but start off slowly. PLEASE HELP?
Answer 340 views

01 Jan 0001

Dear Desperate
If you find that you get so exhausted so quickly when doing light exercise I would recommend that you first have a medical checkup to see if you are not suffering from an underlying condition that is responsible for this type of exhaustion. Do NOT exercise until your dr has given you a clean bill of health otherwise it could be dangerous. If you are given a clean bill of health then start doing a form of exercise that you can manage which fits in with your circumstances (e.g. the stepper or skipping which can be done in the privacy of your home). Start very gradually - 5 minutes a day and then increase how fast and how long you do your selected exercise every day. The ideal is to do 30 min a day at a rate that increases your cardio output and increases your pulse. So if for example, you have a heart condition, you should not exercise - this is something the medical examination will reveal.
It is always better to also combine a slimming diet with exercise to obtain the best results. Reduce your energy intake by eating an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet). However if your medical examination should reveal that you suffer from a condition that requires a special diet, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area) for an individual diet prescription.
Best regards
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.
Voting Booth
Have you entered our Health of the Nation survey?
Please select an option Oops! Something went wrong, please try again later.
34% - 9247 votes
66% - 17732 votes