Ask an expert

12 Aug 2011

Very unfit

I am a 46 year old female.
I have had asthma and took it all in my stride was super slim and super fit. (Never did Yoga).
After 40 I found out (through pain) that I have slipped disk in my back &  a torn ankle ligament. I refused to have surgery and just took it easy. I can live with both.
Stopped exercise though.
Weight crept up slowly from slim to overweight.
Lots &  lots of cortisone in various forms also packed on more weight.
I cannot go off it I am a severe asthmatic with life-threatening allergies since the age of 2.
Then my asthma started playing up (probably also due to the weight gain) and I started menopause.
Long story short - my eating is not good (I eat healthy but lots of things I should not too), my cholesterol is a bit up, I am fat, my asthma is no good &  I am a menopause monster.
I know I need exercise but I get sick as soon as I do aerobics or weights. I get a cold/bronchitis/asthma.
I am thinking about Yoga but I am so unit and have so many conditions I wonder if I could do it and where?
I am put off by the slim &  trim and super-fit because I cannot keep up and I tried Yoga once and thought I was going to die.
Live in Milnerton in Cape Town.
Do you think it can work for me and help with ALL these things?
Answer 1,185 views

01 Jan 0001

Hi Stacey,

Yoga can definitely help with all of the above and much much more. It has been known to cure or at least dramatically improve asthma in many people who have been life long sufferers.
However it is important to find the right style as many of the yoga styles out there is very fitness, body orientated and would be inappropriate for your conditions.
I would recommend one on one yoga with a remedial yoga therapist who can work with you and tailor a set of practices to help you with your various conditions. Please contact Kathy Schwaeger who is a great remedial yoga practitioner. She will be able to get you started. Her number is 073 0170466.
Good luck.
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.