Question

VIRUS IN SALIVA
Hi Doc,

I was running a race and around me was obviously alot of people when I felt a 'liquid' get into my eye. My worry is that what if somebodies saliva (alot of people spit while running) got into my eye and what if it contained blood (what if it contained HIV)? Also if it was blood or saliva, will I see it and what volume is required to cause HIV infection? Please help as I've stopped running for a while.

Johan

Johan, it all depends on the amount of viruses in the saliva. It is a theoretical possibility, but as far as i know nobody has ever contracted HIV from coming into their eyes – there is just not enough viruses in a droplet. So, don’t worry and good luck.