Question

VITAMIN A AND BETA CAROTENE?
I overdosed on beta carotene and my skin went yellow. To many papayas, mangos and baby carrots. I love fruit and have been eating apples, banana and pear to get away from the orange fruit. Are there any orange fruits besides oranges, that I can eat that don't contain anything to make my situation worse? I'm not sure about the difference between vitamin A and beta carotene. Is beta carotene a fat soluble vitamin like Vitamin A and what fruit can I eat. I also take a multi-vitamin VM 2000 from Solgar. I don't know if I should stop this?

Dear Orange
The condition induced by eating too much beta-carotene is luckily reversible with time, so be patient. You can eat all fruits and vegetables except those that are deep orange/yellow or dark green. Stick to those apples, pears, bananas, and citrus fruits for the time being until you are no longer yellow. Too much of a good thing is also potentially bad. Beta-carotene is what is called a precursor of vit A and as such is soluble in fat, but it is not stored in the liver like vit A and does not cause the same damage as vit A when taken to excess. If your vit supplement contains 100% of the RDA for vit A, I would also stop taking this for awhile until you are back to normal.
Take care