Question

VITAMINS AND IMMUNE SYSTEM BOOSTERS FOR HIV PEOPLE
DEAR DOC

I AM HIV POSITIVE (5 MONTHS NOW) AND NOT ON MEDS YET. I WANT TO START USING VITAMINS AND IMMUNE SYSTEM BOOSTERS AND I AM NOT SURE WHETHER TO USE BOTH AND WHICH ONES ARE GOOD FOR HIV PEOPLE. MY CD4 IS 550 AND VIRAL AROUND 30 000 , THE DOCTORS ADVISED ME AGAINST STARTING MEDS BUT TOLD ME THAT I SHOULD TAKE VITAMINS BUT I DO NOT KNOW WHICH ONES TO TAKE EXACTLY AS THE PHARMACIES SHOW YOU DIFFERENT VITAMINS EVERYDAY.

MY MAIN SYMPTOMS ARE SORE THROATS, FLUE, BEING LIGHTHEADED, DIZZY AND BEING TIRED MOST OF THE TIME. PLEASE DOCTOR ADVISE ME ON THE BEST VITAMINS AND I WOULD APPRECIATE THE ONES THAT YOU ONLY TAKE ONCE A DAY.

ANOTHER PROBLEM IS THE LYMPHS, THEY ARE THE REASON I CHECKED MY STATUS, BUT THEY WON' T GO AND THE DOCTER SAID THEY WOULD DISSAPPEAR IN TIME BUT THEY HAVE'NT. THEY ARE NOT VISIBLE OR ANYTHING BUT WHEN YOU TOUCH MY HEAD, NECK AND FACE YOU CAN FEEL THEM, WILL THEY EVER DISSAPPEAR?

THANK YOU

Sally, any good multivitamin will do. You can try something like Spectrum® or Pharmaton SA® if you want. It doesn’t help to take too many vitamins, as they will all end up in the toilet. I wrote something on vitamins a while ago and if you’re interested in a copy you can mail me at CyberDoc@mweb.co.za.
The lymph nodes will stay enlarged as long as there is an active immune response i.e. an infection present. The enlarged nodes don’t mean much per se, so don’t let them worry you.
At the end of the day the most important is to try as healthy as possible by eating the correct way, exercising regularly and treating infections early and aggressively. Good luck.