Question

vivitonin
hi i have posted on this forum before, but with regards to other issues. so my 16 year old wirehaired daxie is on vetmedin, fortekor and furosemide for DCM...he has shown no signs of coughing EVER but he has slowed down in terms of exercise, partially i suspect due to his heart condition but also due to stiffness...when he gets up he has a few moments to " warm up"  and then can get a good little trot going, and is happy to trot along for about 20 mins at a gom which i reckon is impressive! i had him at the vets for a meds check and he said his little heart was doing ok considering, and there was no notable delay between the heart beating and his pulse....so that was a good sign.

my concern now is that he is now showing signs of dementia...he seems to be confused quite a lot of the time, the vet thinks this may also be due to cataracts....so he suggested i try some Vivitonin. But i am a bit worried about it as it seems to me that this drug acts by reducing peripheral vascular resistance, thus allowing more blood to reach his little brain. when i asked the vet about it he produced what i suspect is the veterinary equivalent to a MIMS, he paged to the drug and showed me the mechanism of action but brushed over my question as to whether this will actually do anything for my dog as he is already on the fortekor which has a similair action??

i dont want to have my dog on loads of medicine unless i really need to??

any advice?

About the use of Vivitonin(Karsovan) in an animal with DCH (Dilated Cardiomyopathy): I contacted Dr Mats Abatizidis from MSD Animal Health and he forwarded the following information.

Safety studies have shown that propentofilline(Vivitonin/Karsosan) was found to be safe and well tolerated in dogs when used in conjunction with ramipril and furosemide to treat congestive heart failure.

Other searches have shown that there are no drug interactions between propentofilline and other drugs, however, one of the articles (propentofylline use in CHF) discusses potential drug interactions based on the pharmacological properties of propentofilline. But more studies re needed to either prove or disprove these hypotheses.

The article raises awareness of potential interactions with the following drugs:
• Cimetidine
• most anti-arrhythmic agents (especially beta-blockers)
• barbiturates

The same article suggests that propentofilline may potentiate the clinical effects and adverse events when combined with:
• other xanthines e.g. aminophylline and theophylline
• antihypertensives (nitroprusside)
• peripheral vasodilators (hydralazine, isoxsuprine, nitroglycerine, nitroprusside)
• oral antidiabetic drugs
• anticoagulants

Being an adenosine potentiating drug, its spectrum of activity is very wide and directly or indirectly leads to:
• Increases oxygenation of tissues by way of improving their perfusion
• Improves musculoskeletal function
• Improves respiratory function, with the bronchodilatory effects being most useful (a characteristci common with other xanthine derivative drugs)
• Improves neurological performance, and
• Improves cardiovascular function

Dr Mats Abatzidis
B.Sc. (Phys & Micro) B.V.Sc. (UP)
Technical & Product Manager - Companion Animals
MSD Animal Health