Question

vomiting
Hi, my dachhund of almost 5 months is vomiting almost every night. Sometimes like 3h00 in the morning. He eats a good quality dogfood and does not get extra food from us regularly. Maybe once or twice a month we might give him a small bone to chew on, but thats about it. What should I check for?

Hi Apple It has been suggested that the vomiting that you are observing may be associated with inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) or another condition that causes a decrease in gastric motility. As a result this may lead to gastric reflux when the pup first gets up or when he gets excited. This diagnosis can be time consuming and expensive - ultrasound, biopsy's e.t.c. The most common treatments are histamine (H2) blockers like cimetidine, feeding small meals (feed a premium dog food) just before bed (even a novel protein diet)and using motility modifying medications like metoclopramide. These things sometimes work to control the problem and if no further signs develop it is reasonable to continue treatment prophylactically without a firm diagnosis, at least in my opinion. If the above fails then you may have to look at doing some diagnostics.