Question

Walking 2 Oceans
I am going to walk the 2 Oceans (half) - what tips can you give me - I've done previous 21.1 and when I hit the 16-17km mark I am totally "finished", - tired. My previous times for a 21.1 is 2:48 and I want to better that time if possible at the 2 Oceans! Please help me with tips for that feeling at the 16/18 km mark!

Hi there

If your goal is to walk the whole way (not run at all), then you need to walk at an average speed of 7 minutes 45 seconds per kilometer. This is quite a brisk walk, but it would give you your time of around 2 hours 43. The challenge however is the distance AND the speed, and so what I think is particularly important is that on the race day, you can't be walking at your maximal pace. If you are going as fast as you can, then it is inevitable that after 16 km or so, you will be tired, because you have no 'reserve'. So the whole point of training for speed would be that in your training, you are walking at 7h30 per km for shorter distances like 10 km. Then, on the race day, 7m45 feels much slower to you and as a result, you have the ability to keep going for longer. But in my experience, people do not train fast enough, and the result is that they can't sustain their speed for long enough. Does that make sense? So given that you have 3 weeks left, I would spend it working on walking speed - get your comfortable walking speed to about 7m30 per kilometer, so that on the day, 7m45 feels much easier to you and you can then push past this barrier at 16 km.