Ask an expert

20 Jul 2011

i have heared of a procedure where if you want a boy/girl, male X/Y sperm is injected (almost like IVF), what is the name of the procedure? where can i do it?, success rate and how much will it cost.
Answer 374 views
Fertility expert
Fertility expert

01 Jan 0001

Dear Lumka

The sperm selection is not a definitive way of ensuring that the offspring will either be a male or female. The only definitive way that one can ensure that the baby born will either be a male or female is by a procedure known Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (PGD). This would first involve doing in-vitro fertilization (IVF) and at the embryo stage, the embryo will then be biopsied for a chromosome analysis and sexing of the chromosomes. The specific sex chromosomes will then be transferred into the uterus to allow for a pregnancy to ensue. Apart from the cost of IVF you looking at probably an additional cost of around R10 000 to R20 000 to test the embryos but this will differ from clinic to clinic and on the number of embryos tested.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical examination, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.