Question

WANT TO BE FIT BUT FEAR HEART ATTACH
Hi there

I have never really been very active, sport wise. The last five years I have walked for sport on and off and could walk relatively far but the last two years I have done no exercise at all because I work from home and therefore not much normal walking is done and there is not enough time for exercise as I sometimes work very late hours. I have decided I have to do something and am going to join Run/Walk for Life eventually hoping to start running. I am 45 years old. My one big fear is having a heart attack. I think it is pshycological. I suffer from panic attacks and therefore have had bad experiences/fears with a racing heart, etc. I had ECG's many years ago and about 2 years I wore a heart machine (can't remember the name) for 24 hrs for a irregular heart beat but the results came back as "nothing significant". I do find that my heart skips a beat (it feels like it) sometimes especially when I am going through a lot of tension. Is it safe for me to start running at this age. I know the walking will only do me good. Regards

Hi Barbie

The best way for you to get "peace of mind" is to get your doctor's consent that you can exercise. Walking will do you the world of good, and will greatly decrease you risk of suffering from heart disease, so I'm sure your doctor will agree to you walking.

Good luck.